Sith Acolyte Shin and Calf Plates

SIth Legs

I began by CAD modelling the front thigh plates by drawing curves in 2D, then pulling them out into 3D. I have never modelled leg armor before, so to get the curvature of the surface took some trial and error. I’m thinking that modelling curvy objects like this would be easier in a 3D sculpting program like ZBrush, but for now, Rhino will have to do.



After the model was done and sized correctly, I split it into 4 separate batches of several pieces each, and sliced it for printing. 

 

After everything was printed, I assembled and glued all pieces together with superglue, and then used my ABS/Acetone sludge I use on my printer beds for adhesion to smooth out and fill in the seams. Since the sludge contains the exact same type of ABS as the printed parts, once the goo dries, it creates a permanent bond with the plastic underneath, fusing the parts together. (NOTE: this was more of an experimental approach to gluing parts, and is actually not the best; sanding these seems leaves behind a porous surface that needs a bit of work to fill in. I have started using epoxy putty for this step with fantastic results).

20141113 164447-1
20141116 094259-1

Next, I sanded the surface down with an orbital electric sander using 120 grit paper sanding disc. 

20141117 202029-1

I primed the parts, and used more spot putty to touch up the areas that need it, followed by sanding, priming, more spot putty, until the parts were perfectly smooth and ready for molding.

20141113 174206-1
20141113 171411-1
20141118 164927-1
20141117 205549-1
20141117 213914-1


Next, I used some foam to build up the empty spaces under the masters to elevate them off the table...

20141120 071243-1

… measured out and mixed up some Rebound 25 silicone,

20141120 133107-1
20141120 133709-1

… degassed it in my vacuum chamber as I do with all my silicone,

20141120 133958-1

…and brushed on the first layer.

20141120 144028-1

I did two more layers after this, before adding a silicone thickener called Thi-Vex to the fourth layer to thicken the mold.

20141120 203518-1
20141121 170250-1

Once the silicone cured, I mixed up some Plasti-Paste in a reusable container, and applied it to the molds to create the support shell.

20141121 181228-1
20141121 193751-1

Once this cured, I demolded the masters, and using the cold casting technique I explain in some depth on this page I cold cast the final pieces in aluminum-infused 65D resin.

20141121 212240-1
20141121 225319-1
20141122 235811-1

After demolding and trimming, the pieces were ready for polishing with #0000 steel wool and painting.

20141125 195615
20141125 201450

A quick coat of black primer...

20141125 201930

… followed by these colours which I used for the rest of the armor.

13250305 1094728013903655 1349210845 n

I then painted the edges of some of the details silver, and the recessed areas with a black acrylic colour.

20141128 130018
20141125 211602

I used elastic straps to connect the two halves in the same manner I did for the thighs, and epoxied some metal braces to the shins to ensure that the two halves would stay put lined up, and not slide off one another.

20141130 024952-1

Adding some velcro loop strips to the inside for padding completed the lower legs.


     



Thanks for looking!

* * * * * * *

Sith Acolyte Leg Armor

Back to Sith Acolyte Armour Directory

© mynocksden.com 2017. Disclaimer: This website's purpose is to showcase my personal projects, explain the steps, tools, materials and techniques involved in creating my props. The articles I have made are "fan made" props only, made for myself as a hobby. All copyrights for the characters or parts and components thereof which have inspired the work documented here are the sole property of their respective owners.